Case Studies in Applied Operations Research
1. Location problems, single and multiple facilities.
2. Search engines. The page rank algorithm.
· Wikipedia, PageRank and the references therein
Bryan and T. Leise, The
$25,000,000,000 Eigenvector: The Linear Algebra Behind Google,
· A.N. Langville and C.D. Meyer, A survey of eigenvector methods of web information retrieval, SIAM Review, 47(2005), pp. 135-161
Langville, C.D. Meyer, Google's PageRank and Beyond: The
Science of Search Engine Rankings.
· L. Page et al, The PageRank citation ranking: Bringing order to the Web (1999)
3. Benford’s Law
4. Simpson Paradox
5. Braess Paradox
· D. Braess et al, On a paradox of traffic planning, Transportation Science 39(2005), 446-450
· See references in Braess homepage: http://homepage.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/Dietrich.Braess/Index.html
6. Inspection Paradox
· S. M. Ross, The inspection paradox, Probability in the Engineering and Informational Sciences 17(2003), 47-51
7. Models of risk and uncertainty
· Information Entropy, Wikipedia
· Choice under risk and uncertainty , in particular
· The Art of the Save, for Goalie and Investor, NY Times, March 1, 2008
· A. Ben-Tal, A. B-I and M. Teboulle, Certainty Equivalents and Information Measures: Duality and Extremal Principles, J. Math. Anal. Appl. 157(1991), 211-236
8. Population studies
· A. Levy & R. Zamani, Optimal population size and urban-rural composition of a distant, large arid island: A model and some numerical simulations, The Open O.R. Journal 1(2007), 9-15
9. Dynamic programming
· M. A. Talias, Optimal decision indices for R&D project evaluation in the pharmaceutical industry: Pearson index versus Gittins index, European Journal of Operational Research 177 (2007), 1105–1112
10. Finance models
· P.M. Pardalos, Optimization Techniques for Portfolio Selection , pp. 19-33, New Operational Approaches for Financial Modelling, 1997
· Y. Censor et al, On Linear Infeasibility Arising in Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy Inverse Planning, Lin. Algeb. and its Appl. 428(2008), 1406-1420
· How IMRT works, Mayo Clinic
· Antonella Fogliata et al, On the performances of different IMRT treatment planning systems for selected paediatric cases, Radiat. Oncol. 2007
· M. Cara Bucci et al, Advances in Radiation Therapy: Conventional to 3D, to IMRT, to 4D ...
12. Clustering and classification
· A. B-I and C. Iyigun, Probabilistic Distance Clustering, J. Classification (2008), to appear
· C. Iyigun and A. B-I, Probabilistic Distance Clustering adjusted for Cluster Size, Probability in Engineering and Informational Sciences (2008), to appear
· C. Iyigun and A. B-I, Probabilistic Distance Clustering, Algorithm and Applications, Chapter in a forthcoming book
· C. Iyigun and A. B-I, Contour Approximation of Data: A Duality Theory, to appear
· A. B-I and C. Iyigun, Probabilistic Distance Clustering, Lecture at the Dept. of Mathematics & Statistics, University of Tampere, Finland, November 2007
13. Wave energy
· M.E. McCormick, Ocean Wave Energy Conversion, J. Wiley, 1981 (republished Dover 2007)
· The Salter duck
· Tidal energy
Balinski and H.P. Young, Fair Representation: Meeting the Ideal of One Man,
One Vote, 2nd ed., Borookings Inst.,
· M.L. Balinski, What is just? Amer. Math. Monthly 112(2005), 502-511
· M.L. Balinski, Fair majority voting (or how to eliminate gerrymandering), Amer. Math. Monthly 115(2008), 97-113
· R.A. Agnew, Optimal congressional apportionment, Amer. Math. Monthly 115(2008), 297-303
· S. Padela, Political Redistricting (PowerPoint presentation)
15. Trends. Demographics.
· J.H. Jones, Leslie Matrix (Stanford Lecture Notes)
16. Systematic climate changes. Policy implications.
· The Hadley Centre, Climate Data Bases
· J. Mitchell, Climate Change Myths
· Christopher Monckton of Brenchley, 35 Inconvenient Truths: The Errors in Al Gore's Movie (also here )
17. Nonrenewable natural resources. Optimal rate of extraction. Oil. Coal.
· R.P. Murphy, Oil Prices, The Library of Economics and liberty, April 2008
· H. Hotelling, The Economics of Exhaustible Resources, J. Polit. Econ. 39(1931), 137-175
· R. Bradley and R. Fulmer, Will We Run Out of Energy?
18. Renewable natural resources. Forestry. Fisheries. Agriculture. Solar and wind energy.
19. Health care. Epidemics.
· Compartmental models, Wikipedia
· The SIR model of Kermack-McKendrick, Wolfram Research
· W. Weckesser, Solver for the SIR model
· M. Keeling, The Math of Disease, +plus magazine (2001)
· J. Murray, SIR models
· J. Kim et al, Cost optimization in SIS model of worm infection, ETRI Journal 28(2006), 692-295
· J.M. Epstein et al, Controlling pandemic flu: The value of int'l travel restrictions,
· N.C. Grassly et al, New Strategies for the Elimination of Polio from India, Science 314(2006), 1150-1153
· M.J. Keeling and K.T.D. Eames, Networks and epidemic models, J. Roy. Soc. Interface 2(2005), 295-307
· C.T. Bauch and D.J. Earn, Vaccination and the theory of games, Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA (2004), 13391-13394
· D. Mollison, The structure of epidemic models
· S.E. Chick et al, Supply Chain Coordination and Influenza Vaccination (to appear)
· Flu Vaccine Makers Scrambling for Next Season, Wall Street J., Feb 21, 2008
· F. Schweitzer and R. Mach, The epidemic of donations: Logistic growth and power laws
20. Bayesian Analysis
· S.E. Fienberg, When did Bayesian Inference become "Bayesian"?, Bayesian Analysis 1(2006), 1-40 (a good history)
· R.A. Fisher and his Opposition to Bayesian Analysis , in particular
21. Statistics and law
· Howland will forgery trial, Wikipedia
· The Howland Will Case, NY Times, Oct 5, 1866
· Prosecutor'e fallacy, Wikipedia
· People v. Collins, Wikipedia
· Gene find casts doubt on double 'cot death' murders, Observer, 2001
· H. Joyce, Beyond reasonable doubt , +plus magazine (2002)
· Lucia de Berk, Wikipedia
· M. Buchanan, Statistics: conviction by numbers, Nature 445(2007), 254-255
· A. Pundik, Using Statistical Evidence in Courts: A Case Study
22. Dynamic pricing. Revenue management
· J. McGill and G.J. Van Ryzin, Revenue Management: Research Overview and Prospects, Transportation Sci. 33(1999), 233-256
· J. Subramanian and S. Stidham, Jr., Airline Yield Management with Overbooking, Cancellations, and No-Shows, Transportation Sci. 33(1999), 147-167
· P-S You, Dynamic Pricing in Airline Seat Management for Flights with Multiple Flight Legs, Transportation Sci. 33(1999), 192-206
23. Neural networks
· Multilayer Perceptrons (a presentation)
· The "AI winter" (a tale of caution)
24. Traffic systems. Flow. Congestion.
25. Maintenance and replacement policies.
Back to main page